Lemon Basil Zucchini Fritters
1 pound zucchini (~2 medium zucchinis)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, beaten
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
Pinch of ground black pepper
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3-1/2 cup high-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, avocado, or organic canola oil)
1. Grate zucchini using box grater or food processor. Place grated zucchini into large colander. Add salt to zucchini and let sit while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. Squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini using a clean dish towel or cheesecloth. Ensure that you have gotten as much moisture out of the zucchini as you can.
3. In a large bowl, combine zucchini with remaining ingredients. Add more flour if needed until the mixture holds together to form the fritters.
4. Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Scoop batter by the tablespoon and add to pan. Flatten scoops in pan. Be sure not to add fritters to pan until oil is hot, but oil should not be smoking. Test the oil with a small drop of the fritter mixture to see if there is a sizzle. Cook fritters for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Remove fritters from pan and place on paper-towel lined plate. Add more oil to pan as needed and repeat step 4 with remaining mixture.
6. Serve fritters immediately.